Friday, May 3, 2013

My Healthy Homemade Peanut Butter

I assume they mean something extraordinary,
especially that the brain creates new neural pathways with new experiences!
However, cooking new (easy) recipes and exploring the healthier side of snacks are on my to-do list.


Still 'revolting for food' with the Food Revolution Day coming up on the 17th of May, I'm creating my own homemade peanut butter for the first time! 

I love peanut butter, it's delicious, creamy, nutty and in the same time a healthy snack! Of course, it's caloric dense but in the same so rich in nutrients! Peanuts provide you with the good kinda fat, monounsaturated ones, along with minerals (copper, magnesium, manganese, iron), vitamins (E, B6, folate, niacin) and antioxidants (p-coumaric acid & resveratrol).
Sugar and hydrogenated vegetable
oil 
are major ingredients in
commercial peanut butter!
It has been a while since I last had peanut butter so I went shopping! Nevertheless while shopping for peanut butter, I couldn't help but notice most were super processed with hydrogenated fats and sugars. 

So I decided to make my own. Turns out, the 'recipe' is super easy. I got raw unsalted peanuts, dry roasted them in the oven, blended them and voila. It's really this simple! The whole process took around 20 minutes tops. 




Ingredients
  • 400 grams raw peanuts (depending on how much you want to make)
  • A pinch of salt, honey, molasses or unsweetened cocoa powder, if desired

Instructions
  • Spread the raw peanuts evenly in a pan and roast in your oven for around 8 minutes. Stir the mix mid-way. You can make the butter with raw peanuts, but roasting really enhances the flavor!
  • Blend the roasted nuts in your food processor (Steps 2 through 8) for 10 to 12 minutes.
    > Make sure not to blend them for straight 12 minutes, it might burn your food processor;s motor. 1-2 minutes per spin will do.
    > Don't worry about adding any extra oil. Once crushed, the peanuts release their own oils, softening the blend.
    > After every spin, briefly scrap down the mix with a spoon.
  • I wanted mine crunchy so I took few tablespoons from step 3 and mixed them with the final peanut butter product (Step 9).
  • I added a pinch of salt throughout the whole process. I don't like mine sweet so I didn't have to add any honey. So this depends on your taste buds!
  • Place your healthy peanut butter in a container and refrigerate. Now note that given its natural peanut butter with no emulsifiers, you will notice that the oil will slightly separate to the top when stored. Just stir it a bit before use.
So my healthy May after-workout snack was peanut butter with bananas and crushed hazelnuts. Quick, easy, satisfies my cravings and healthy!


My next butter, probably next month, will be cashews butter, rich and creamy!

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait for your cashews butter review. If it is good i will trry it, icashews are my best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try it next week. Can we do it with any nut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea you can do it with pretty much any nut! Some may generate bitter tastes if their skin is flaky or the nuts are not so fresh, so soaking them to remove the skin can be helpful. But in general you can cashew, macadamia, almond, walnut, hazelnut, peanut... Some are 'nuttier' if dry roasted and some as raw, it's up to you!

      Delete
  3. Love this! it's amazing how good, easy and healthy something can be and somehow food companies find a way of messing it up! seed butters are on my to do list cause they are not readily available: sunflower butter should be good :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I've heard sunflower butter is the best among seed butters so update me once you have them!

      Delete